POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.windows : POV 3.1d slower?? : Re: POV 3.1d slower?? Server Time
28 Jul 2024 12:25:03 EDT (-0400)
  Re: POV 3.1d slower??
From: Rick
Date: 5 Mar 1999 21:49:10
Message: <36e097a6.0@news.povray.org>
I am running on a AMD K6 233, maybe its just windoze 987, being a pig.

I have just got thwe msdos version od 3.1d, so will be rendering complex
scenes in that from pure dos, that should be much faster! - I like to start
my renders before bed, and have them ready when i get up :)

Rick

Ken wrote in message <36DEC8AD.9C796FD1@pacbell.net>...
>Rick wrote:
>>
>> Hi all,
>> Is  it just me or is POV 3.1d slower than the last version?, Especially
when
>> using rad and AA (9x9 rays)
>>
>> Rick
>
>  Of all the tests I ran prior to it's release the opposite was true in
>all cases. While I ran no performance tests on radiosity I did casualy
>run a couple files with it turned on and recall is rendered surprisingly
>fast. If you are running an old 486 machine you might have suffered
>a performance degradation but anybody with a pentium or better machine
>should see a performance increase in several different types of rendering
>situations.
>  Often times if it's rendering slowly it's more related to the
construction
>of the scene than it is anything else. Transparent textures, multiple
csg's,
>and lots of reflection all take their toll on the the old render clock.
>  Take a look at the test results I submitted to Chris Cason either by
>looking in povray.announce.frequently-asked-questions or hit the link below
>to go straight to it.
>
>http://www.povray.org/cgi-bin/dnewsweb?cmd=article&group=povray.announce.fr
equently-asked-questions&item=9